Sunday 17 April 2011

Better Late than Never!

Good Evening Fabulous Friends!

Life has been busy this weekend, and between that and the mixed up internet happening on my recently new Netbook, I haven't been able to post until today. I have a couple of fun things to talk about, as well as a snuggly OOTD and FOTD, and a cheeky SOTD just to keep things rolling.

Yesterday was G*awful freezing, and as a result my wardrobe was pretty casual compared to normal. It was the day that made me think long and hard about overhauling my combos on days I could care less about Fashion and more about warmth. I think I did ok even with the lack of care.
Jacket: eBay Brand New ($20 from "honest-merchant")
Scarf: Cotton On (these are only $2 when you purchase something else, and I have about five colors)
Jeans: Fave Boyfriend (6) American Eagle ($20 in sales)
Turtleneck Sweater: Mizrahi for Target (last season $10 in sales!)
Bag: Abercrombie & Fitch (A leftover from working there)
Cup: Keep Cup (these are amazing, and Environmentally Conscious!)
Sunglasses: Arnette "Myth" ($20 at a clearance sale, usually $189)
Total Outfit? $70 (but everything is a staple I can wear again and again)

SOTD: Ugg "Adirondack" Mid-Calf Boot
These were about $70, but they've more than paid for themselves. They're good for motorbike rides, hiking, cold walks and casual snuggly days. They're Sheepskin Fleece Lined so they're toasty warm inside, and they're leather outer so they stop the cold well (and are waterproofed!). The soles are the Patented "Vibram", which is like a super lovely kind of rubber stuff that makes your feet smile. If they were made slightly more fashionably, I'd wear them every second day.

 FOTD: Face of the day was reasonably lazy for me, and I know, the photo doesn't really give you too much idea (My bad. I was too cold to take my gloves off to take a self shot of my face)
L-R Clockwise: Maybelline Great Lash BIG "Blackest Black", Lacura Pressed Finish Powder "Toffee", Maybelline Baby Lips "Cherry", Chantecaille Futureskin Foundation "Ivory", Elizabeth Arden Color Intrigue Palette, Maybelline Stylish Smokes Quad "Natural Smoke"

Okay. So let me start by saying, this day was a heavy on the Maybelline day, but not every one is. It just happened to work out that way. The brushes in the Pic are an Elizabeth Arden Kabuki Brush (which I use for the pressed powder to set my foundation), A Covergirl Shadow Stippler (I refuse to use anything else since I tried this late one night) and a cheap drugstore brand Blush Brush (that's just the right balance of stiff but soft and cost me a whole $2.75)

Mascara: I used to switch between Benefit's Bad Gal Lash and Sheer Cover's Natural Mascara, but Bad Gal flakes a lot, and Sheer Cover was a little too natural for me. It darkened my lashes, but that was about it, and I like my lashes to look Big. When I was back home in the US last year, I went to a supermarket where they had a special on a new Maybelline Great Lash, and I figured, for $4.99? Why not. I've never put it down since. EVER. I live for this. It's now 6 months later, and while I should be thinkign about tossing it, I can't bring myself to do it. I wear this every day, often two coats, and I'd still have enough for another 6 months in there. This is a Go To Product, and I'd give it to everyone if I could.

Pressed Powder: Lacura is "Aldi" (the german supermarket slowly taking over the world) in-house brand, and to be honest, for $3.50, I really doubted its abilities when my mom presented me with it proudly one afternoon. Well. I sure learnt my lesson there. Previously having only used Physician's Formula multi-bronzer powder to set my foundation, I had decided to leave the team. This Powder is my absolute favorite, and when it eventually looks like Aldi aren't going to sell it, I'll be buying absolutely every compact left in the stores. I use a color called Toffee, which is a slightly bronzed looking Ivory Cream color. It works winter and summer, and in Summer I've been known to wear it alone on bare skin, just to even my tone.

Baby Lips: I don't really need to explain this one, except to say this. I've been a lip balm user for years. Probably 20. (i'd have gotten some kind of chapstick when I was 8 or 9 and have never put it down). The problem was, eventually, my lips would peel, or itch, or just look plain old disgusting, but not with Baby Lips. I LOVE this product, and can't live without it. It leaves a nice, non sticky sheen on your lips, and doesn't even come off with lunch. ($4.99)

Chantecaille Future Skin Foundation: This is my one Holy Grail make up item. It's an oil-free gel based foundation, and glides onto your skin like something delicious. It took me two tries to get the tone right (in summer I wear Sand, winter I wear Ivory), but my skin has thanked me by not breaking out. True, at $75 a pot, it's expensive, but it's worth it for me. A 30g pot lasts me about six months, which I think is ok. That's about $11 a month, which I don't really notice. It leaves your skin looking fresh, never dries into your pores or any wrinkles, I just can't speak highly enough of it. In a coming post, I'll compare it to some other popular brands, but in the meantime, I'll say this: If i'm having a tight money month and I've not got any of this left? I use Revlon Superstay Oil-Free. Not only is it oil-free, but it's free of Parabens etc, which clog your pores and are the culprits for breakouts. That one's a reasonable $9.95 at the drugstore.

The Color Intrigue palette, I use mainly for the blush (the shadows are a little hard to use unless you mix them with a medium first, and I never have time lol), which is "Romance". It's a peachy, Apricot kind of shade, and is comparable with Nars Orgasm for a nice, naturally Flushed cheek. (this however doesn't sparkle, and I kind of enjoy that when I wear it to work). ($18 at www.smartpoppy.com.au  see note at end)

The Smokey quad is a staple, it has directions so anyone can make a nice, natural smoky eye, and you can tailor it to your own preference by using three shades or even just two, instead of all four. This one is a lovely chocolates selection, and it makes me smile just thinking about it. ($9.95 drugstore, Priceline, Supermarket)

Total Cost Overall? $120 (approx) but that would be if i only used those items once. If you break it down into about 250 days (the minimum amount i'd wear make up in a year), it costs less than 50 cents a day. AMAZING! :)

now, about www.smartpoppy.com.au  . This site is ABSOLUTE GENIUS. The girl who runs it is a doll, and they offer free shipping on all orders over $85. At this discount site, $85 gets you a HECK of a lot. Things like MAC Dazzleglass for $27, Kiehl's for $14, Stila Lip Glazes from $12 and Stila Eyeshadow Pans from $12. INSANITY! I've made someone a lot of good money from my purchases there.

Ok, so kidlets, Good night! Apologies for such a long post, but I will try and condense them in future. Keep an eye out for my Foundation Roadtest (Tuesday), my Skincare Routine (Wednesday) and tomorrow's Home made Body Treats. xoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment