Tuesday 3 May 2011

The Long (and the trying to get there from) the short of it

So, if you're anything like me, you'll have been trying desperately to either grow out the short cut that seemed perfect those first fresh few weeks, OR you're trying to maintain and treasure your luscious long locks.

The first thing I want to talk about is Viviscal. Yep, the hair loss pills. They took the underground beauty scene by storm when model Gisele mentioned she'd been taking them for a year or two, and almost never used extensions to fill in her hair during shoots and shows. I didn't buy it then, and I didn't buy it when Vanity Fair ran an article, in which and actual hairstylist guru couldn't stop the acclaim.

A week later? I fell in and bought it. I logged myself into DermStore and ordered my first box. That was almost a month ago. Let me tell you, as I parted with my hard earned $45, I did have hesitations.



I can't say it's the be all and end all and you'll never feel the need for extensions again....but i can tell you that my hair has indeed thickened up, seems healthier, shinier and smoother, and....yes....HAS GROWN. More than it would have without their help. So i'll keep taking them (i just ordered another box), and will post pics along the way to show you the results. For me, they're worth it. Extensions aren't realistic in my life right now.

Anyway, check out dermstore. They have free shipping to the US, and if you join them, you'll get free intnl shipping (along with 10% off favorited items, and 15% off if you review something).

On to Shampoo and Conditioners....and Treatments.

Over time, I've tried probably fifteen different brands...and the two I can't live without are L'Oreal Elvive (the red for colored hair) and Matrix. For an entire year, I used Matrix Sleek (in the orange bottles) Shampoo, Conditioner and Treatment (i don't use their styling products, they gunk my hair up too much). I would recommend them to anyone.

I've just (in the last week) switched to Matrix Biolage Colortherapie, and I have to say, I'm impressed. I switched because I thought I'd purchased the reasonably Organic, Sulfate free Biolage....but I accidentally ordered the regular one. I'm not unimpressed though, my hair feels beautifully clean, and the conditioner rinses out well. Everyone compliments me on the extra shiny softness of my hair, and it's not unusual for a friend at work to want to keep touching my hair because she loves it's feel.
 I bought in 1 liter bottles from eBay, for $54 including shipping, but you can find the regular size here at My Hair Care

Once a week (for the last four weeks), I've also been using Matrix Biolage CeraRepair Hydra, which is a kit of five tubes, you use one a week for five weeks and it repairs your hair. Now, I'm not an idiot, I know you can't actually repair for real, but it does do a lovely job of keeping your hair looking healthy, and making your scalp feel like it's getting some love as well. You can find it here at Westfield

L'Oreal Elvive has been around for yonks and yonks....and if there was no other option? I'd be all over it. I'm lucky in getting a promotion at work, it meant I could treat myself luxuries like Matrix instead.

If you do one thing for your hair in this life? Promise it will be NOT USING PANTENE. That shampoo is full of silicons and nasty chemical compounds which congeal on your hair, causing breakage, buildup, AND you'll notice little black gunky bits on your hot hair appliances....that's the silicon melting off.

No comments:

Post a Comment